Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and employs up to 1,000 youth every year at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle). As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, as of 2021 Juma has employed 9,275 low-income youth who have earned $12.4 million in wages, saved $6.4 million for post-secondary education, and generated $38.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. In recent years, 97% of youth participants indicated they would “recommend Juma to a friend” and likewise, our most recent staff satisfaction rate was 97%.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are Youth First, Stronger Together, Respect & Appreciation, and Integrity & Transparency.
This is a part-time role. Reporting to the Enterprise Manager, this role will support day-to-day operations of Juma’s youth concessions operation in Atlanta. The Assistant Enterprise Manager will supervise and train a large staff, lead by example and run the full operations to drive sales while teaching critical skills for the development of our staff.
Concession operations include multiple stands at all home games. The Assistant Enterprise Manager should have an entrepreneurial spirit, interest in youth development and a willingness to work in the high volume food service management industry. Experience in customer service and ability to select and develop a team of support youth managers to work under you is a critical part of the role.
Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment & Programming
- Support the Site Lead, Enterprise Manager and the Program staff in the recruitment of our youth team, conduct orientations, hold interviews, evaluate youth for hiring considerations, collect hiring paperwork and submit for employment verification/background checks with Juma administration offices
- Attend and support as needed with Youth All-Staff Meetings or workshops including topics such as: resume/interview tips, youth interaction, sales, etc.
- Support as needed in the management and development of key relationships with community based organizations (CBO) for enhanced recruitment
Business Management, Growth & Administration
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with venue team and/or concessionaire partner to ensure consistent and potential increase for youth shifts and an inclusive work environment
- Positive interaction and relationship building with stand managers and other floor/area supervisors as needed to produce a collaborative management oversight of youth
- Partial oversight of Atlanta P&L’s, JEIT, and KPIs documents
- In charge of the creation, distribution and follow up of invoices to financial team and concessionaire/venue partner
Day-to-Day Concession/Vending Operations
- Creating and maintaining the environment of exceptional customer service based on Juma’s values and guiding principles.
- Ensuring all stands and carts are fully prepared prior to opening
- Ensuring that all safety procedures are followed and working conditions are safe
- Listening to and resolving customer complaints regarding service, product, or personnel as necessary
- Checking in with venue managers prior to opening including the attendance of any pre-shift meetings
- Conduct pre-shift meetings with youth staff
- Execute or oversee bi-weekly submission of time and attendance to process youth payroll.
- Support as needed with Staff scheduling and payroll reporting
Youth Training & Development
- Meets regularly with the Atlanta leadership team to review youth rosters in order to coordinate youth attendance and scheduling
- Serve as a mentor and coach to further develop the capabilities of youth staff and youth managers.
- Create a work environment that fosters teamwork, personal growth, and self-confidence.
- Assists with employee performance reviews and provides ongoing support and feedback to youth regarding their job performance.
- Supports as needed with the staffing, planning and delivery of ongoing workshops, virtual or in person, that facilitate learning for young adults on topics concerning career development, employment and education
Collaboration with Juma Staff and Program Evaluation
- Develop an efficient and beneficial relationship with the Youth Services team to integrate business needs and program services.
- As needed, collaborates with the Data & Evaluation Director to engage in continuous program improvement, ensuring youth outcomes are achieved while operating efficiently
- Ability to work nights and weekends consistently per professional sporting event schedules.
- Experience in food service management/operation, finance, and nonprofit organizations a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a very large team.
- Ability to multitask frequently while still maintaining strong attention to details.
- Exceptional interpersonal, relationship building and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience working with youth of color and working class/low income youth.
- Passion and respect for youth leadership and youth development.
- Experience in providing instruction/training to various people and personalities.
- Good physical stamina; environment and responsibilities can be physically demanding. Must be able to climb stairs, stand for up to 8 hours a day, and lift 25 pounds.
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment.
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check
- Demonstrates strong customer focus with respect, patience and efficiency
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records (where applicable)
|Reports to:||[[ Alyshia Jackson, Enterprise Manager ]]|
|Job Location:||[[ Atlanta, GA 30303]]|
|Starting Salary:||[[ $15]] per hour|
|Hours/Week:||[[ 20 ]]|
|Education:||High school diploma required|
|Years of Experience:||Minimum oneyear of customer service experience|
Please submit the following to email@example.com
A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
- Current resume
- Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.