Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s ice cream shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has grown into a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced unprecedented growth over the last five years, expanding from four to nine U.S. cities (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Seattle). Today, Juma operates more than 20 concession businesses and in 2018 will employ over 1,200 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States.
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 6,500 low-income youth who have generated $30 million in enterprise revenue and earned $8 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for
Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at Seattle Business magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non-Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
Juma seeks an Assistant Enterprise Manager with a track record of success in sales or business development in a fast-paced environment to drive Juma’s social enterprise operation and serve as a key member of our Enterprise Team. The Assistant Enterprise Manager will assist in recruiting, hiring, training, and developing at-risk opportunity youth to work in a professional work environment to save money for college. Responsibilities will also include managing the day-to-day operations of AT&T Park and serving as mentors and coaches to approximately 160 high school students. This is a very hands-on role, in supervising and training a large staff, leading by example, and running the full operations to drive sales. Working as a team to share responsibilities and teach critical skills for the development of our youth staff as well as making a valuable impact in the lives of those we manage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Business Management, Growth & Administration
- Partial oversight of San Francisco’s P&L (approx. $1,100,000 in gross sales and growing)
- Growing the business through strategic sales, marketing, partnerships, new products, etc.
- Preparing daily/monthly sales and inventory usage reports for internal and external use
- Manage partnership with Centerplate Concessionaire and CREAM Nation, Inc.
Day-to-Day Concession/Vending Operations
- Maintaining daily, monthly and seasonal budgets and forecasts
- Ensuring all equipment is in proper working condition
- Ensuring that all safety procedures are followed and working conditions are safe
- Listening to and resolving customer complaints regarding service, product, or personnel
Orders & Deliveries
- Assisting in projecting order estimates and inventory management
- Collecting order invoices from suppliers on site for deliveries
- Entering invoices onto EOM (End of the Month Inventory) Gamesheet
- Physically distributing orders from suppliers (BiRite, Dreyers, Peet’s Coffee, etc.) to commissary and warehouse (be able to lift approximately 30-50 lbs.)
Staff Management and Development
- Recruit, hire, supervise, motivate, manage and develop the capabilities of youth staff
- Creating a work environment that fosters teamwork, personal growth, and self-confidence
- Assisting in scheduling 1-on-1 employee performance reviews and providing ongoing support and feedback to youth regarding their job performance
- Drafting monthly schedules for youth using WhenIWork
- Managing and Reporting youth payroll through EasyTimeClock
Collaboration with JUMA Staff
- Developing an efficient and beneficial relationship with the Youth Services team to integrate business needs and program services
- Planning and tracking objectives related to the business and social goals of the business
- Coordinating and leading quarterly Youth All-Staff Meetings
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- Must be currently attending a local college or university and maintain at least a 2.5 GPA
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants, as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems, are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
Reports to: SF Enterprise Manager
Job Location: Main office is located at 131 Steuart St, Suite 201, San Francisco, CA 94105, within easy walking distance to MUNI, BART and the Ferry Bldg. Significant time spent at stadium worksites.
Starting Salary: $16.50 per hour
Classification: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Hours/Week: Approx. 15-20 hours per week. Evenings and weekends required – following events schedule
Education: High school diploma or equivalent experience; must be currently attending a local college or university
Years of Experience: Minimum one (1) year in management, operations and/or customer service; youth development experience a plus
Please submit the following to Cassandra Yee, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
- Current resume
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.