Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced an exciting amount of growth over the last five years, expanding from four to six U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates 20 concession businesses and in 2019 will employ over 1,000 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Jose, Seattle.)
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 8,200 low-income youth who have generated nearly $37 million in enterprise revenue and earned $11 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
Juma Ventures seeks a mission-driven, experienced fundraising professional to lead its growing philanthropy and marketing efforts with a focus on transformative gifts from individual major donors. The Chief Development Officer serves as a key executive leadership team member for an entrepreneurial organization in the midst of an exciting new strategic plan. This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and directly oversees the National Development Team.
In partnership with the CEO, this position will help build an impactful major gifts program for the agency and forge new relationships to build Juma’s visibility and financial resources. The CDO will have primary responsibility for the day-to-day management of the HQ Development Team, and support regional Director’s regional fundraising activities to meet a revenue goal of ~$4 million in 2020.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a member of Juma’s Executive Leadership team. Actively participate in bi-weekly leadership meetings. Contribute to strategic discussions related to program, evaluation, enterprise, finance, HR and administration. Serve as Executive Leadership team lead for the Board of Director’s Development and Marketing Committees;
- Design and execute Juma’s national fundraising strategy and work in partnership with Site/Development Directors in San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Sacramento, Atlanta and Houston to develop and execute local fundraising strategies;
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating/Finance Officer to develop and implement Juma’s financial strategy. Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program;
- Identify, develop, and mentor the development team. Establish personnel accountabilities for staff and evaluate performance regularly. Assure stability of the team by creating a working environment that is rewarding and sustainable;
- Represent Juma in various community forums;
Individual Supporters & Events
- Design, develop and lead a national individual giving strategy, including annual campaigns and major gifts program;
- Design strategy, and provide support and expertise to Juma’s regional sites as they develop their local advisory boards and individual giving strategies;
- Support the CEO to build the capacity of Juma’s Board of Directors and regional Directors to identify and invite new donors;
- Work with the Individual Giving Manager to cultivate and steward a caseload of major individual donors that represent the highest giving potential for the organization;
- Work with the Individual Giving Manager and Board’s Development Committee to host Juma’s annual Paths to Possibility event;
- Work with the Director of Institutional Giving to develop and execute the annual grants campaign at national and local level;
- Work with the CEO and Director of Institutional Giving to actively identify and oversee the cultivation and solicitation strategy for major national institutional donors;
- Support the Director of Institutional Giving to oversee the Grants Management Calendar in collaboration with the Grants Team;
- Support the Director of Institutional Giving to oversee efforts on data analysis and ensure consistency between grant commitments and monthly progress on agency outcomes/performance indicators;
Marketing, Communications, & Thought Leadership
- Support the Marketing Director to oversee the development of a clear and consistent brand and communications that articulate our theory of change, impact measures and unique differentiation within the nonprofit market to funders and other key supporters;
- Support the Marketing Director to oversee the development, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s communications activities including the organization’s website, production of newsletters, annual reports, and social media;
- Support the Marketing Director to connect marketing efforts to fundraising campaigns and initiatives;
- Work with the CEO and Marketing Director to define and develop a thought leadership strategy that aligns with Juma’s strategic plan;
Best Practices & Systems
- Nurture a culture of philanthropy/engagement throughout Juma, ensuring that team members across the organization participate in and support fundraising initiatives and goals;
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Juma ahead of major funding changes or trends;
- Analyze the effectiveness of fundraising efforts to meet organizational goals. Provide and present statistical analysis to board and leadership; and
- Implement best practices in data management for a non-profit with a growing budget and impact, and with an especially strong focus on development systems and policies to be used across the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 7+ years fund development experience.
- Proven success in designing and managing a variety of fundraising campaigns, including solicitation of six-and-seven-figure investments.
- Proven ability to cultivate existing donor relationships and initiate new prospects.
- Understanding of funding landscape and previous relationships with local major donors/funders a plus.
- Strong management skills.
- Ability to lead staff and inspire board members, donors, and volunteers.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet multiple deadlines.
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail a must.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment, entrepreneurial environment.
- Commitment to social justice and a passion for serving our young people is essential.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some night and weekend events.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Job Location: San Francisco, CA
Starting Salary: Commensurate with experience
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Hours/Week: 40 hours
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience: Minimum seven years of experience
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Please submit the following to Cassandra Yee, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.