Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced unprecedented growth over the last five years, expanding to six U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and in 2020 will employ over 700 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Jose, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 6,500 low-income youth who have generated $30 million in enterprise revenue and earned $8 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non-Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect. Our four core values are youth first, stronger together, respect & appreciation, and integrity & transparency.
The Controller works in the national office in San Francisco, CA under the direction of the COO/CFO, supervising the accounting team and working closely with a Financial Analyst. This position provides assistance to a national 501c(3) organization and works closely with all departments to maintain accurate and complete financial records for the agency. This position will cross train and provide backup for payroll processing, AP, AR, and other accounting and finance duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enforce accounting procedures and controls; ensure spending is in accordance with Juma policies
- Back up and supervise the bi-weekly payroll, post payroll journal entry and reconcile payroll accounts
- Maintain chart of accounts, reconcile general ledger (P&L/Balance Sheet oversight & management)
- Perform and manage Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable activities: including entries, reconciliations, cutting checks, and making journal entries as necessary
- Ensure funder, donor, and government compliance is maintained
- Assist in accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end closes and financial reporting
- Support development team’s efforts in grant application budgets, track funding allocations, and submit reports to funders when applicable
- Project cash balances, ensure cash on hand is adequate and in accordance with Juma directives
- Assist staff in budget tracking and variance reporting
- Compile and report key business metrics
- Ensure department’s records are filed and/or stored digitally
- Prepare agency audits and supporting schedules
- Prepare business compliance filings such as 1099’s, payroll, and sales tax
- Assist with all applicable audits and third party requests, including reviewing financial statements and supporting documentation/schedules, and meeting with auditors as necessary
- Communicate with vendors, government entities, and staff members; provide timely responses to telephone and written inquiries
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of financial reporting and ledger structure
- Recommend and upon approval, execute improvements to accounting software (NetSuite) and accounting procedures
- Ensure procedures conform to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“GAAP”)
- Assist with internal and external projects, functions, and activities as assigned
- Bachelor and/or masters degree in accounting and/or finance desirable
- Minimum of five (5) years (3 in nonprofit) of related experience in accounting or finance
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
- Strong research, analytical and problem solving skills; strong attention to detail and accuracy
- High intermediate to advanced skills in Excel
- Deep understanding of GAAP accounting and accounting best practices
- Possess flexibility and initiative, as well as the ability to work independently, leadership abilities combined with the skills for thriving in a team environment to achieve shared goals
- Ability to write high quality reports, business correspondence, and procedures/directions.
- Demonstrates passion for Juma’s mission
- Ability to get along well with diverse personalities; tactful, mature, and flexible
- Deep understanding of payroll and accounting systems (ADP and NetSuite/ERP preferred)
- Advanced computer skills in core areas (PCs, Microsoft Office suite, Internet, etc.)
- Demonstrates personal responsibility by meeting commitments on time, accepts accountability, handles changes, sets personal standards and boundaries
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Must be able to sit and view computer screens for extended periods of time
- Passionate about Juma’s values: youth first, stronger together, respect & appreciation, and transparency & integrity.
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
Reports to: COO/CFO
Job Location: 131 Steuart St, Suite 201, San Francisco, CA 94105
Starting Salary: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Hours/Week: 40 hours/week (additional hours may be necessary)
Education: Bachelor’s or Graduate level degree in accounting or finance
Years of Experience: Minimum five (5) years of experience, 3 in non-profit
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Please submit the following to Cassandra Yee, Chief People Officer & General Counsel at firstname.lastname@example.org:at email@example.com
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission. Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Current resume
- Salary requirements