Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced an exciting amount of growth over the last five years, expanding from four to six U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates 20 concession businesses and in 2019 will employ over 1,000 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Jose, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 7,200 low-income youth who have generated $34 million in enterprise revenue and earned $9.5 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
Reporting to the Seattle Executive Director, this position requires strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize as well as multi-task. Fund development is essential to the overall success of the organization and therefore it is imperative that the person in this role be dedicated to providing the support needed by the Development Department to secure the resources necessary for advancing Juma’s mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Institutional Grants (60%)
- Work with Seattle Executive Director to conduct targeted research to identify new institutional funders; ensuring growth and diversity of the portfolio of funders in the Seattle region
- Work with Seattle Executive Director to help lead relationship building with institutional funders
- Manage a portfolio of 20+ corporations, foundations, and government departments
- Create compelling grant proposals and funding requests for Seattle corporate, foundation and government funders
- Complete program impact and financial reports to funders
- Manage data tracking and reporting for grants on a monthly basis
- Track and acknowledge institutional donations, including thank you letters, grant agreements, donor listings, social media, and other donor recognition activities
Individual Giving, Events, and Appeals (30%)
- Support Juma Seattle’s individual donor stewardship process, from researching potential donors, to donor engagement and donation processing
- Lead the planning and execution of Seattle’s annual All Star Benefit
- Coordinate small donor events, with a focus on cultivation and stewardship
- Work with the Seattle Executive Director to manage the Local Advisory Board
- Track and acknowledge individual donations including thank you letters
- Publish quarterly Seattle newsletters, taking lead on writing content and working with Juma’s Marketing Manager to create engaging updates for Juma’s supporters
- Work with the national Development Team on annual fundraising and marketing campaigns
- Work with the National Development Associate to manage the development database (Salesforce CRM) and ensure that data is accurate, accessible and secure
- Data entry for donations, fundraising and volunteer events
- Prepare and produce relevant database reports for the Development and Leadership Teams
- Organize and maintain development documentation and computer drives
- 3 plus years fund development experience. Event planning experience is a plus
- Highly skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials
- A passion for fundraising and supporting youth from under-resourced communities
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Previous experience with Salesforce/CRM databases, strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms including but not limited to LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- A sense of humor
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment.
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
Reports to: Mason Moore, Seattle Executive Director
Job Location: Seattle, WA 98134
Starting Salary: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Hours/Week: 40 hours
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience: Two years + professional experience strongly preferred
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Please submit the following to Mason J. Moore, Seattle Executive Director at email@example.com:
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
- Current resume
- Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.