Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced unprecedented growth over the last five years, expanding from four to nine U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates 22 concession businesses and in 2018 will employ over 1,200 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 6,500 low-income youth who have generated $30 million in enterprise revenue and earned $8 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
Juma is seeking an experienced community leader to drive fundraising and partnership development efforts in our San Jose site. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Development (San Jose, CA) will play a critical role in the growth and impact that Juma has on young people in San Jose. Launched in 2015, the Director of Development will, individually and with the support of the national development team, help establish and grow Juma San Jose’s local base of philanthropic support.
This position requires exceptional drive and passion for our work, significant capacity for relationship building and an entrepreneurial mindset. In order to be successful in this role, you’ll have exceptional organizational and communication skills, and will be able to work independently and collaboratively with peers across departments, showing resourcefulness, flexibility and a high level of professionalism.
As a member of the small but growing San Jose team, the Director of Development (San Jose, CA) will also interact with Juma’s young people, supporting enterprise and programming activities on an occasional basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Development Director will position the Juma San Jose site for long-term sustainability by:
- Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the nonprofit philanthropic, private or public sector
- Strong connections across the San Jose nonprofit and philanthropic communities
- Proven track record in managing relationships with individuals, corporations, foundations and government investing in five-to-six figure grants/gifts
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences
- Very strong organizational and analytical skills, and project management skills
- Proficiency in Salesforce (or other CRM Systems such as Raiser’s Edge)
- Demonstrated knowledge and respect for youth leadership and youth culture
- An advocate for diversity
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment
- Ability to work nights and weekends as necessary
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
Reports to: Chief Development OfficerJob Location: San Jose, CA
Starting Salary: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Hours/Week: 40 Hours
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience: Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the nonprofit philanthropic, private or public sectorBenefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Please submit the following to Andrea Coen, Chief Development Officer at email@example.com:
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.