Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced unprecedented growth over the last five years, expanding to six U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and in 2020 will employ over 800 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Jose, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 8,000 low-income youth who have earned $11 million in wages and generated $36.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. Also, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non-Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are youth first, stronger together, respect & appreciation, and integrity & transparency.
Juma is seeking an experienced community leader to drive fundraising and partnership development efforts in our San Jose site. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Development (San Jose, CA) will play a critical role in the growth and impact that Juma has on young people in San Jose. Launched in 2015, the Director of Development will, individually and with the support of the national development team, help establish and grow Juma San Jose’s local base of philanthropic support.
This position requires exceptional drive and passion for our work, significant capacity for relationship building and an entrepreneurial mindset. In order to be successful in this role, you’ll have exceptional organizational and communication skills, and will be able to work independently and collaboratively with peers across departments, showing resourcefulness, flexibility and a high level of professionalism.
As a member of the small but growing San Jose team, the Director of Development (San Jose, CA) will also interact with Juma’s young people, supporting enterprise and programming activities on an occasional basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Development Director will position the Juma San Jose site for long-term sustainability by:
- Raising the annual San Jose contributed revenue budget (~$430K in FY20), and develop a local development plan to drive growth in the local funding base over the coming years
- Securing financial support from individual, corporate, foundation and government donors
- Develop and implement in concert with the Chief Development Officer the strategy to achieve individual giving fund-raising goals including stretch goals.
- Participates in overall planning and execution of Juma major gift fundraising.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects for major gifts and bequests for the purpose of supporting programming, operations.
- With assistance of the Chief Development Officer, CEO and a select group of the Board, schedules 3-4 per week donors and prospects visits for cultivation and solicitation purpose
- Prepares research on each prospect to include wealth engine rating, giving history and other organizations, capacity, linkages, etc.
- Based on research, recommends solicitation strategy and prepares background information for each visit and generates timely and thorough follow-up correspondence and call reports.
- Manages a comprehensive cultivation tracking system for all major and planned gift donors and prospects through Salesforce
- Identify ways to increase the cultivation and involvement of donors in visits, meetings, and activities as appropriate.
- Prepares major gift proposals in response to inquiries and/or cultivation of major donors and prospects.
- Working with National Development Team to develop and track proposals and reports for all
- Managing internal and external stakeholders around grant outcomes and results to meet or exceed donor expectations
- Growing a local corporate engagement and volunteer program
- Growing a San Jose Local Board of Advisors to serve as community ambassadors for Juma
- Working with the National Marketing Team to build brand awareness in the San Jose region
The Director of Development will also help deepen the impact of our program by:
- Collaborating with the San Jose and national team to align core department goals and workflow (Development, Program, and Social Enterprise)
- Collaborate in driving the development of new local corporate employer and education partnerships to support San Jose’s young people post-Juma
- Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the nonprofit philanthropic, private or public sector
- Strong connections across the San Jose nonprofit and philanthropic communities
- Proven track record in managing relationships with individuals, corporations, foundations and government investing in five-to-six figure grants/gifts
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences
- Very strong organizational and analytical skills, and project management skills
- Proficiency in Salesforce (or other CRM Systems such as Raiser’s Edge)
- Demonstrated knowledge and respect for youth leadership and youth culture
- An advocate for diversity
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment
- Ability to work nights and weekends as necessary
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Job Location: San Jose, CA
Starting Salary: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Classification: Part-Time or Full Time, Exempt
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience: Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the nonprofit philanthropic, private or public sector
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Please submit the following to Andrea Coen, Chief Development Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.