Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced an exciting amount of growth over the last five years, expanding from four to six U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates 20 concession businesses and in 2019 will employ over 1,000 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Jose, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 7,200 low-income youth who have generated $34 million in enterprise revenue and earned $9.5 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
Juma is seeking a talented Enterprise Manager with a track record of success in sales or business development in a fast paced environment to drive Juma’s Social Enterprise operation and to serve as a key member of our Enterprise Team. Reporting to the Houston Site Director, the Enterprise Manager will be responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, and developing individuals ages 18-24 to thrive in a professional work environment. The Enterprise Manager will manage the day to day operations at their respective site, thereby advancing Juma’s mission and creating a meaningful impact in the lives of youth. The candidate will also serve as a mentor and coach for young adults.
As a member of the small but growing Houston team, the Director of Development (Houston, TX) will also interact with Juma’s young people, supporting enterprise and programming activities on an occasional basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment & Training
- Presentations to pitch YouthConnect Program.
- Lead Orientation training for young adults ages 18-24.
- Plan and track objectives via software for youth attendance and goals.
Business Management, Growth & Administration
- Partial oversight of Houston P&L.
- Growing business through strategic sales, marketing, partnerships, new products, etc.
- Preparing frequent invoices, payroll, and scheduling reports for internal and external use.
Day-to-Day Concession/Vending Operations
- Maintaining daily, monthly, and seasonal budgets and forecasts.
- Staff scheduling and payroll reporting.
- Creating an environment of exceptional customer service.
- Ensuring that all safety procedures are followed and working conditions are safe.
- Listening to and resolving customer complaints regarding service, product, or personnel.
- Maintain a strong relationship with HR Staff and the Front Office.
- Assist in planning and managing corporate volunteer days.
- Assist in providing tours of venue operations for volunteers, supporters, etc.
Staff Management & Development
- Serve as a mentor and coach to further develop the capabilities of young adults.
- Create a work environment that fosters teamwork, personal growth, and self-confidence.
- Conduct employee performance reviews and provide ongoing support and feedback to youth regarding their job performance.
Collaboration with Juma Staff
- Develop an efficient and beneficial relationship with the Youth Services team to integrate business needs and program services.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
Reports to: Director of Venue Operations
Job Location: Houston, TX
Starting Salary: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Hours/Week: 60 hrs/wk during season | 40 hrs/wk during off-season
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience: Minimum 2 years of experienceBenefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Please submit the following to Cassandra Yee, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org :
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.