Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced unprecedented growth over the last five years, expanding to six U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and in 2020 will employ over 800 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Jose, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 8,000 low-income youth who have earned $11 million in wages and generated $36.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. Also, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non-Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are youth first, stronger together, respect & appreciation, and integrity & transparency.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the HR Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the employment lifecycle of Juma Ventures’ youth employees across all Juma Ventures sites. The HR Coordinator is responsible for developing and driving the implementation of the strategic recruitment objectives to organize, streamline and maintain compliance throughout the hiring process. The HR Coordinator will also effectively communicate the mission, vision, and values to acquire talent and build the culture of Juma.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
YOUTH EMPLOYMENT MANAGEMENT – 70%
- Own and coordinate all efforts involved in the youth recruitment cycles, and ensure timeliness, accuracy and completion across all sites.
- Coordinate and effectively implement uniform youth recruitment materials, including, but not limited to: applications; recruitment trackers; HR policies and paperwork; disciplinary forms; and change of status forms.
- Maintain clear communications across all sites on recruitment processes, including biweekly updates to Enterprise Managers of next steps and unresolved items.
- Ensure data quality by provide support in the online application tool and assisting site managers on using the Recruitment Trackers.
- Verify I-9 documentation and maintain that they are current.
- Conduct and provide background checks and verifications.
- Complete employment verification letters as needed.
- Stay updated on minimum wage changes across all sites and ensuring compliance across the agency.
- Stay up-to-date on applicable employment laws across all sites and provide support to ensure full compliance.
ADULT STAFF EMPLOYEE RELATIONS – 30%
- Support life-cycle of hiring from conducting research for potential candidates, arranging recruitment, resume collect, scheduling interviews and preparing onboarding for all staff.
- Internal and external posting of open positions, evaluating candidates to ensure they meet company hiring standards, and preparing offer letters.
- Occasionally conduct and provide reference checks and verifications.
- Understand and communicate office-specific and firm-wide policies and procedures when necessary.
- Maintain employee database records and files with utmost confidentiality and accuracy.
- Support and strengthen training and professional development systems, including mandatory legal trainings.
- Meeting with department managers to develop specific recruiting plans
- Develop and execute proactive employee engagement programs
- 2+ years of experience in administration and/or office management. Experience working with human resources and/or HR certification a plus.
- Independent project management/process management skills
- Flexibility and initiative, as well as the ability to work independently, combined with the skills for thriving in a team environment to achieve shared goals
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy and organization. Ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling sensitive and confidential information
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment.
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
Reports to: Chief People Officer and General Counsel
Job Location: San Francisco, CA 94105
Starting Salary: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Hours/Week: 40 hours
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience: Minimum two years experience
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Please submit the following to Cassandra Yee, Chief People Officer and General Counsel at email@example.com
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission. Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Current resume
- Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.