Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and employs up to 1,000 youth every year at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle). As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, as of 2021 Juma has employed 9,275 low-income youth who have earned $12.4 million in wages, saved $6.4 million for post-secondary education, and generated $38.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 8,000 low-income youth who have earned $11 million in wages and generated $36.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance, and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. In recent years, 97% of youth participants indicated they would “recommend Juma to a friend” and likewise, our most recent staff satisfaction rate was 97%.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are Youth First, Stronger Together, Respect & Appreciation, and Integrity & Transparency.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer & General Counsel, the HR & Youth Recruitment Coordinator will support, coordinate and drive key aspects of the employment lifecycle of Juma Ventures’ youth employees across all Juma Ventures sites. The Youth Recruitment Specialist is responsible for developing and driving the implementation of the strategic recruitment objectives to organize, streamline and maintain compliance throughout the hiring process. The HR & Youth Recruitment Coordinator will also effectively communicate the mission, vision, and values to acquire talent and build the culture of Juma.
Duties and Responsibilities
Youth Employment Management 70%
- Manage and coordinate all efforts involved in the youth recruitment cycles, and ensure timeliness, accuracy and completion across all sites, ensuring compliance with federal, state and local rules.
- Coordinate and effectively implement uniform youth recruitment materials, including, but not limited to: applications; recruitment trackers; HR policies and paperwork; disciplinary forms; and change of status forms.
- Maintain clear communications across all sites on recruitment processes, including biweekly updates to Enterprise Managers of next steps and unresolved items.
- Ensure data quality by providing support in the online application tool and assisting site managers on using the Recruitment Trackers.
- Create, enforce and facilitate systems and processes for the recruitment process, including collecting and verifying I-9 documentation, using DocuSign and other tools, distributing required documents and holding regular trainings with site staff.
- Conduct, review and train site staff on the process for background checks and verifications.
- Complete employment verification letters as needed.
- Arrange and issue appropriate communication and documentation regarding minimum wage changes across all sites and ensure compliance across the agency.
- Stay up-to-date on applicable employment laws across all sites and provide support to ensure full compliance.
Adult Staff Employee Relations 30%
- Support with hiring efforts, such as helping with resume collection, scheduling interviews and preparing onboarding documents for staff.
- Internal and external posting of open positions and preparing background checks and offer letters.
- Occasionally conduct and provide reference checks and verifications.
- Understand and communicate office-specific and firm-wide policies and procedures when necessary.
- Open mail at the office and depositing checks
- Maintain employee database records and files with utmost confidentiality and accuracy.
- Support and strengthen training and professional development systems, including mandatory legal trainings.
- 2+ years of experience in administration and/or office management. Experience working with human resources and/or HR certification a plus.
- Independent project management/process management skills
- Flexibility and initiative, as well as the ability to work independently, combined with the skills for thriving in a team environment to achieve shared goals
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy and organization. Ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling sensitive and confidential information
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment.
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
|Reports to:||Chief People Officer & General Counsel|
|Job Location:||San Francisco, CA 94105|
|Starting Salary:||Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience|
|Education:||Bachelor’s degree required|
|Years of Experience:||1-2 years of experience preferred|
|Benefits Include:||Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time-off package|
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
- Current resume
- Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.