Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced an exciting amount of growth over the last five years, expanding from four to six U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates 20 concession businesses and in 2019 will employ over 1,000 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Jose, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 7,200 low-income youth who have generated $34 million in enterprise revenue and earned $9.5 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
Do you have experience in individual giving programs and are looking for an opportunity to grow and advance your career? Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Individual Giving Manager will help drive Juma’s growing national individual giving program, including events, annual giving campaigns, and major gifts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
INDIVIDUAL GIVING PROGRAM
- Cultivate and steward a portfolio of individual donors and prospects (between $1 and $5,000) with the potential to make annual investments;
- Successfully solicit gifts, negotiate gift terms and ensure that gift agreements are created and followed;
- Recognize, curate, and communicate institutional information relevant to prospects;
- Ensure best-in-class donor stewardship;
- Activate, coach and support staff in cultivating and soliciting prospects. Proactively collaborate with colleagues across the national organization to develop effective and coordinated strategies for each donor;
- Manage online annual appeal logistics, working with the marketing team and other program areas to create fundraising materials that effectively advance Juma’s mission;
- Work collaboratively with Marketing & Communications team to conceptualize and implement online giving initiatives/campaigns;
- Work with the Marketing & Communications team to shape the development presence on the website, in communications and social media;
MAJOR DONOR PROGRAM
- Assist with new individual major funder prospecting ($5,000 and above);
- Organize the Chief Executive Officer’s monthly donor meeting schedule;
- Work with and support the Board’s Individual Giving Committee on fundraising initiatives and tracking Board of Director’s Give/Get targets;
NATIONAL FUNDRAISING EVENTS
- Create and implement individual and major donor engagement events;
- Assist San Francisco Director of Development with developing fundraising strategy and logistics for Juma’s national annual fundraising event: Paths to Possibility;
- Provide support as needed, such as coordinating vendor contracts, securing guest lists, and inputting data onto Auctria and Salesforce database;
- Support regional sites with small donor events, with a focus on cultivation and stewardship;
- Oversee individual database management, gift processing, development and fulfillment of donor benefits, gift recognition, donor correspondence, and mailings;
- Maintain accurate and complete records of donor communications;
- Prepare regular reports on all individual giving and events activities;
- Monitor revenue and expenses related to the individual giving program;
- A passion for fundraising and supporting youth from under resourced communities.
- 3+ years individual fund development experience.
- Previous experience with Salesforce/CRM databases preferred.
- Event planning experience preferred.
- Excellent project management skills, with attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple projects.
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with senior management and board members.
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment, entrepreneurial environment.
- Availability to work some nights/weekends.
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Job Location: 131 Steuart St, Suite 201, San Francisco, CA 94105
Starting Salary: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Hours/Week: 40+ hours, weekends and evenings occasionally required
Education: Bachelor’s degree or commensurate work experience
Years of Experience: 3+ years relevant professional experience
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Please submit the following to Andrea Coen, Chief Development Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission. Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Current resume
- Salary requirements