Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and employs up to 1,000 youth every year at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle). As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, as of 2021 Juma has employed 9,275 low-income youth who have earned $12.4 million in wages, saved $6.4 million for post-secondary education, and generated $38.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 8,000 low-income youth who have earned $11 million in wages and generated $36.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance, and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. In recent years, 97% of youth participants indicated they would “recommend Juma to a friend” and likewise, our most recent staff satisfaction rate was 97%.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are Youth First, Stronger Together, Respect & Appreciation, and Integrity & Transparency.
Reporting to the Director of Data Systems & Evaluation, the D&E Data Manager will be responsible for 1) Processing youth outcome data into Juma’s outcome tracking database; 2) providing administrative support to Evaluation and Program staff members; and, 3) ensuring the quality and integrity of data tracked in Juma’s outcome tracking database systems. The D&E Data Manager will play a critical role in supporting the use of data to track our impact on youth, thereby advancing Juma’s mission and creating meaningful impact in the lives of Juma youth nationwide.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the primary database administrator of Juma’s participant outcome tracking database (Apricot). This includes but is not limited to managing security permissions and user accounts, building out enhancements to the database as new programmatic elements are implemented, and regular maintenance of existing data collection forms, automated reports and dashboards
- Process data from various spreadsheets using R-scripts and batch upload them into Apricot. This includes but is not limited to youth intake data, bi-weekly payroll and direct deposit data, etc.
- Support recruitment efforts by working with sites to keep recruitment Google Forms and Spreadsheets clean and up to date
- Quality control: Review data for errors
- Build out Apricot Connect as a primary data collection tool. Regularly monitor functionality and use of Apricot Connect. Train new staff members on how to use the tool for mass messaging and data collection
- Create staff-friendly data collection tools, automated reports, and dashboards to translate data into information
- Issue tickets to Apricot support to resolve any problems
Data Collection, Analysis, and Report Preparation
- Regularly prepare data for various outcome reports (e.g. Youth Active List, Vaccine Status Report, etc.) using intermediate functions in MS Excel (i.e. VLOOKUP, compound IF statements, pivot tables, etc.)
- Prepare data for grant reports using intermediate functions in MS Excel
- In conjunction with Sr. Director of Data Systems and Evaluation, build out data collection instruments such as surveys and assessments
- Ensure surveys and assessments are regularly being collected by site staff. Regularly analyze and report out on results of surveys and assessments to relevant stakeholders within the organization
- Perform various analyses on projects such as employee satisfaction surveys, 360 performance reviews, and participant satisfaction surveys
- Build out Tableau to allow for deeper analysis of program outcomes to enhance monitoring and evaluation efforts
- Other data-related projects / duties as assigned
Qualitative Data Collection and Analysis
- Collect qualitative feedback from participants by conducting focus groups and/or semi-structured interviews on a semi-annual basis
- Analyze participant feedback on an annual basis and provide Sr. Director of Data Systems and Evaluation with recommendations on how to incorporate participant feedback into program design & implementation
- Assist with regular data collection and analysis of staff feedback in regards to implementation of programmatic elements
- Interest and aptitude to work in evaluation at non-profits
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously and independently;
- Experience working with numbers and spreadsheets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and extremely strong attention to detail;
- Intermediate skills using Microsoft Excel and Google Spreadsheets (i.e. VLOOKUP, compound IF Statements, Pivot Tables etc.)
- Familiarity with R statistical software program, Python, or similar script based programs
- Entry level experience with R, Python and Tableau a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, internet applications (e.g. Google Suite, MailChimp, etc.)
- Minimum Bachelor’s or equivalent experience working in a similar role
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment.
- LGBTQ, bicultural, applicants with disabilities and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
|Reports to:||Senior Director of Data Systems and Evaluation|
|Job Location:||California, Remote|
|Starting Salary:||$63K-$68, commensurate with experience|
|Education:||Minimum Bachelor’s or equivalent experience working in a similar role|
|Years of Experience:||1+ year of experience working with data in an academic or professional setting|
|Benefits Include:||Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time-off package|
Please submit the following to Sanobar Sajan, Senior Director of Data Systems & Evaluation at email@example.com:
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
- Current resume
- Academic Transcript
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.