Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and employs up to 1,000 youth every year at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle). As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, as of 2021 Juma has employed 9,275 low-income youth who have earned $12.4 million in wages, saved $6.4 million for post-secondary education, and generated $38.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. In recent years, 97% of youth participants indicated they would “recommend Juma to a friend” and likewise, our most recent staff satisfaction rate was 97%.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are Youth First, Stronger Together, Respect & Appreciation, and Integrity & Transparency.
Juma is seeking two talented Assistant Store Managers to help operate our newest Steep store, Juma’s boba tea store located in the Mission District in San Francisco. The ideal candidates will come with a track record of success in management & operations in a fast paced environment to drive Juma’s Social Enterprise operations and to serve as key members of our Enterprise Team. Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Development, the Assistant Store Managers will assist with recruiting, hiring, training, and developing individuals ages 16-24 to thrive in a professional and supportive work environment. The Assistant Store Managers will manage the day to day operations at the Steep store, thereby advancing Juma’s mission and creating a meaningful impact in the lives of Juma youth. The candidates will also serve as a mentor and coach for Juma’s young adults.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide exceptional customer service with prompt and friendly service, high quality food and beverages, and maintain a clean and comfortable service and dining environment
- Effectively promote our guiding principles of professionalism, excellent customer service and maintaining clean and safe areas.
- Create a culture of hospitality that inspires our team to take care of each other and uphold product quality standards.
Store Management & Operations
- Actively participate in floor operations in peak hours, and as needed.
- Use shop walkthrough and make sure our checklists are updated and current to optimize prep times.
- Follow operational policies and procedures, including those for cash handling and safety and security, to ensure the safety of all employees during each shift.
- Adhere to and enforce all kitchen standard operating procedures in compliance with company policy, health and food handling safety regulations.
- Work with the staff to ensure recipes are followed properly to ensure a consistent product.
- Ensure the proper image is being maintained by all team members with respect to grooming and uniform standards.
- Ensuring the premises are cleaned up to standards and that the cleaning is documented and logged.
Collaboration with Juma Staff
- Develop an efficient and beneficial relationship with the Enterprise Team to integrate business needs and operational duties including scheduling, staffing, training.
- Support the Site Director and the Program staff in the recruitment of our youth team, which may include support on conducting orientations, holding interviews, evaluating youth for hiring considerations.
- 2 years experience in food and beverage
- 1 year experience as supervisor or manager
- Must be available to work from 10a-3pm M-Th (some nights and weekend hours may also be available) (M-F 10:30am-7:30pm), some nights and weekends
- Demonstrate strong customer focus with respect, patience and efficiency
- Able to identify and anticipate a problem, analyze the situation and various perspectives, offer and/or seek assistance in order to identify solutions and, when appropriate, decide on and implement a course of action
- Ability to adjust style and approach according to environment and audience
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
|Reports to:||Director of Enterprise Development|
|Job Location:||San Francisco CA|
|Starting Salary:||$21/hour, plus gratuity|
|Classification:||Part time, Non-Exempt|
|Years of Experience:||Minimum 2 years of experience|
Please submit the following to email@example.com
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
- Current resume
- Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.