Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education
and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben &
Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to
give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living
on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally
recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability,
and career supportive services.
Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and employs up to 1,000 youth every
year at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston,
Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle). As one of the country’s largest youth-run
social enterprises, as of 2021 Juma has employed 9,275 low-income youth who have earned
$12.4 million in wages, saved $6.4 million for post-secondary education, and generated
$38.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to
numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for
Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social
Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’
competition for our national expansion efforts. In recent years, 97% of youth participants
indicated they would “recommend Juma to a friend” and likewise, our most recent staff
satisfaction rate was 97%.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for
using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open,
inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four
core values are Youth First, Stronger Together, Respect & Appreciation, and Integrity &
Juma is seeking a talented Social Enterprise Manager with a track record of success in management, sales or business development in a fast paced environment to drive Juma’s Social Enterprise operations and to serve as a key member of our Enterprise Team. Reporting to the Site Manager, the Enterprise Manager will be responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, and developing individuals ages 16-24 to thrive in a professional work environment.
The Enterprise Manager will also be responsible for the oversight of all Juma held contracts in the assigned territory, including the day-to-day management of all concessions operations and the youth workforce experience from both a business and social mission perspective. The Enterprise Manager will have a critical role in the development and oversight of their youth team to conduct business at the highest levels at all venues, exceeding the expectations of our partners, while working to grow our business and in turn developing more opportunities for future youth. The candidate will also serve as a mentor and coach for young adults.
Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment & Programming (in a support role)
● Work with the Site Lead and the Program staff in the recruitment of our
youth team, conduct orientations, hold interviews, evaluate youth for hiring considerations, collect hiring paperwork and submit for employment verification/background checks with Juma administration offices
● Supports in the management and development of key relationships with community based organizations (CBO) for enhanced recruitment
● Supports and maintains positive relationships with partner organizations/case managers to track and advocate for youth clients
● Supports partnership as needed with local banking agencies and Juma’s Financial Capability Manager to deliver financial capabilities curriculum as well as lead Juma’s own Financial Capabilities curriculum on a monthly basis.
● Supports Program Coordinator with sustaining and growing relationships with employment partners to establish an employment pipeline for youth that complete Juma’s programming
Business Management, Growth & Administration
● Supports all ENT Contract conversations and development of new local ENT opportunities
● Understand stadium venue agreements, terms and execution plans. Full understanding and ability to train AEMs (Assistant enterprise managers) on process, procedure and operational plans
● Establish and maintain positive relationships with venue team and/or concessionaire partner to ensure consistent and potential increase for youth shifts and an inclusive work environment
● Positive interaction and relationship building with stand managers and other floor/area supervisors as needed to produce a collaborative management oversight of youth
● Partial oversight of Seattle’s P&L’s, JEIT, and KPIs documents
● In charge of the creation, distribution and follow up of invoices to financial team and concessionaire/venue partner
● Works with HQ in forecasting COGS (cost of goods) expenses versus projected revenue to align with overall budget (for venues where appropriate)
● Regularly monitors and make adjustments for COGS vs Revenue to better limit shrinkage, shortages and sales loss (for venues where appropriate)
● Serve as point of contact for all Concessionaire and Invoice communications
Day-to-Day Concession/Vending Operations
● Creating and maintaining the environment of exceptional customer service based on Juma’s values and guiding principles.
● Ensuring all stands and carts are fully prepared and clean prior to opening
● Ensuring that all safety procedures are followed and working conditions are
● Listening to and resolving customer complaints regarding service, product, or
personnel as necessary
● Checking in with venue managers prior to opening including the attendance
of any pre-shift meetings
● Conduct pre-shift meetings with youth staff
● Execute or oversee bi-weekly submission of time and attendance. All entries
to be reviewed and approved for accuracy. Juma uses ADP for all time
● Executing standards of scheduling on a monthly basis based on
concessionaire needs, youth availability and necessary communications using
Juma’s MakeShift software.
● Ensuring all youth are trained in utilizing the MakeShift scheduling system.
● Maintaining daily, monthly, and seasonal budgets and forecasts.
● Delegating day to day support duties to AEM(s)
Youth Training & Development
● Serves as a mentor and coach to further develop the capabilities of youth staff and youth managers.
● Creates a work environment that fosters teamwork, personal growth, and self-confidence.
● Conducts employee performance reviews and provides ongoing support and feedback to youth regarding their job performance.
● Supports as needed with the staffing, planning and delivery of ongoing workshops, virtual or in person, that facilitate learning for young adults on topics concerning career development, employment and education
● Maintains a regular presence at scheduled youth work shifts, provides on the job supervision at work venues, conducts job performance check-ins with youth in collaboration with Program Coordinator (PC) / Enterprise Manager (EM)
● Drafting and implementing Performance Improvement Plans and follow-up (collab between EM and PC), enforcing the Engagement & Dismissal Policy where appropriate
● Job Placement & Retention (support as needed)
Collaboration with Juma Staff & Program Evaluation
● Develop an efficient and beneficial relationship with the Youth Services team to integrate business needs and program services
● Meets regularly with the Seattle staff to review youth rosters in order to coordinate youth attendance and scheduling. Help develop a template and create the agenda for these meetings as needed.
● Assists in the review and analysis of program evaluation results utilizing Juma’s Efforts to Outcomes (Apricot) database and adjusts staff efforts and youth programming based on the analysis
● Meets monthly with site team and HQ to review and complete month over month exit and COS Data. Collaborates with the Learning & Evaluation Director to engage in continuous program improvement, ensuring youth outcomes are achieved while operating efficiently
● Assists with communications/surveys to both current and past Juma participants as needed for retention data
● Support as needed with co-facilitated workshops
● Support as needed to execute mock interview & resume workshops
● Supports as needed with the documentation of participant, employer,
educational and/or vocational referrals
Staff Management & Development
● Is responsible for the oversight of Seattle’s scheduling and delivery of all professional and stadium based training for both adult and youth staff
● Is a key member of the national efforts to refine and update all training materials and workshops for both adult and youth staff members
● Must be available to work nights and weekends as needed, per professional sporting event schedules
● Experience in food service management, youth development, and nonprofit organizations a plus
● Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a very large team
● Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention
to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
● Exceptional interpersonal, relationship building and written and verbal
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Experience working with youth of color and working class/low income youth
● Passion and respect for youth leadership and youth development
● Experience in providing instruction/training to various people and personalities
● Good physical stamina; environment and responsibilities can be physically
demanding. Must be able to climb stairs, stand for up to 8 hours a day, and lift 25
● Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function
effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment
● LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced
within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
● All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check
● Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalent experience
● Proficient in Google Suite and Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), Internet, etc.
● High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
● Demonstrates strong customer focus with respect, patience and efficiency
● Able to identify and anticipate a problem, analyze the situation and various
perspectives, offer and/or seek assistance in order to identify solutions and, when
appropriate, decide on and implement a course of action
● Ability to adjust style and approach according to environment and audience
Reports To: Site Manager
Job Location: Seattle, WA, 98314
Salary: $48,000-50,000 annual salary
Classification: Full-time, Non-exempt
Hours/Week: 40 hours
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Years of Experience: Minimum Years of experience
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package
Seattle Enterprise Manager (2022) .docx
Please submit the following to Lainie Farmer, Site Manager at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.