Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced unprecedented growth over the last five years, expanding from four to nine U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates 22 concession businesses and in 2018 will employ over 1,200 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 6,500 low-income youth who have generated $30 million in enterprise revenue and earned $8 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
This is a part time role. Reporting to the ATL Site Director, this role will support day-to-day operations of Juma’s youth concessions operation in Atlanta. This is a very hands on role, in supervising and training a large staff, leading by example, and running the full operations to drive sales while teaching critical skills for the development of our staff. Concession operations include multiple stands at all home games. The hire should have an entrepreneurial spirit, youth development interest and willingness to work in high volume food service management industry. Experience in customer service and ability to select and develop a team of support youth managers to work under you is a critical part of the role.
Duties and Responsibilities
Business Management, Growth, & Administration
- Hands-on, direct support of Atlanta’s operations.
- Support Enterprise Manager to grow business through strategic sales, marketing, partnerships, new products, etc.
- Prepare daily and monthly sales report.
Day-to-Day Concession/Vending Operations
- Maintain daily, monthly, and seasonal budgets and forecasts.
- Order and receive inventory management (deliveries and payables).
- Schedule youth staff and payroll reports
Staff Management & Development
- Support Enterprise Manager to recruit, hire, supervise, motivate, manage and develop the capabilities of youth staff.
- Provide ongoing support and feedback to youth regarding their job performance.
- Assist in the creation of professional development trainings and workshops.
- AA/BA/BS in Business Management, Finance or Operations preferred.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment.
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in business management, finance or operations, especially in the business consultancy and food services fields.
- Desire and commitment to make this innovative social enterprise successful.
- All prospective staff will submit a criminal background check
Reports to: ATL Site Director
Job Location: Atlanta, GA (Significant time spent at stadiums)
Starting Salary: $10/Hr
Hours/Week: 15-40 Hours – Evenings & weekends required – following events schedule
Education: Associate degree required
Years of Experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in business management, finance or operations, consulting
Please submit the following to Cassandra Yee, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org :
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.