Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and employs up to 1,000 youth every year at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle). As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, as of 2021 Juma has employed 9,275 low-income youth who have earned $12.4 million in wages, saved $6.4 million for post-secondary education, and generated $38.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. In recent years, 97% of youth participants indicated they would “recommend Juma to a friend” and likewise, our most recent staff satisfaction rate was 97%.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are Youth First, Stronger Together, Respect & Appreciation, and Integrity & Transparency.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Development Officer, the Development Associate is a key member of Juma’s fundraising team. This role will support a wide array of fund development activities including donor database entry, special events, and donor stewardship communications. The Development Associate collaborates with the development team and across departments to identify, secure and grow individual and institutional donor relationships. The Development Associate will also provide support to the marketing team with projects related to Juma’s website, social media activities, and quarterly newsletter. This role is designed to be an introduction to non-profit development work, and would be a good fit for someone entering the workforce with interest in building a career in nonprofit administration, fundraising, marketing, and/or communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and maintains updated donor records for individual, event and in-kind giving, including but not limited to entering donation records. Pulling accurate reports, tracking donor email correspondence and updating confidential donor information
- Creates all tax acknowledgement letters for financial and in-kind donations within 48 hours of every donation received
Individual Giving and Events
- Supports the Individual Giving Manager in executing donor stewardship campaigns and donor cultivation events
- With Individual Giving Manager, sends accurate and timely communications to individuals, event attendees, board members and donors
- Coordinate event logistics such on acting as the venue liaison, silent auction procurement, tracks guest lists and manage relationships with event vendors
Marketing & Communications
- Supports marketing team in content creation: quarterly newsletter, social media posts/photos, youth stories/quotes
- Helps update/upload content to juma.org
Executive Support and Board Management
- Oversees board relations including: board appreciation events, board meeting preparation, scheduling board meetings, managing board calendars, creating meeting agendas and materials and keeping minutes at meetings
- Assists CEO and CDO with calendar coordination and credit card and receipt reporting
- Oversees general administrative tasks including but not limited to opening and scanning mail, ordering supplies, and organizing team social events.
- Oversees development team drive, last pass account, subscriptions and billing, and collateral with extreme attention to detail and organization.
- Previous experience with or strong desire to work in the nonprofit field preferred
- Previous experience with Salesforce/CRM databases strongly preferred
- Must be willing to work part time from the office, attend all funder meetings in person if required and travel for fundraising events and meetings as necessary
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- LGBTQ, BIPOC and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
|Reports to:||Chief Development Officer|
|Job Location:||San Francisco, CA|
|Starting Salary:||$50- 65K|
|Hours/Week:||40 hours with some nights and weekends, depending on events|
|Education:||Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required|
|Years of Experience:||0-3 (Entry Level position with some previous experience in nonprofit fundraising, event management, and data entry support is preferred, but not required)|
|Benefits Include:||Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time off package|
Please submit the following to Cassandra Yee, Chief People Officer & General Counsel at email@example.com:
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.