Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Juma has experienced unprecedented growth over the last five years, expanding to six U.S. cities. Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and in 2020 will employ over 800 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Jose, Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 8,000 low-income youth who have earned $11 million in wages and generated $36.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission.
Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. Also, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non-Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are youth first, stronger together, respect & appreciation, and integrity & transparency.
Reporting to the Director of Learning & Evaluation, the L&E Data Coordinator will be responsible for 1) processing youth outcome data into Juma’s outcome tracking databases; 2) providing administrative support to Evaluation and Program staff members; and, 3) ensuring the quality and integrity of data tracked in Juma’s database systems. The L&E Data Coordinator will play a critical role in supporting the use of data to track our impact on youth, thereby advancing Juma’s mission and creating meaningful impact in the lives of Juma youth nationwide.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Process data from various spreadsheets using R-scripts and batch upload them into our youth outcome tracking database (Apricot). This includes but is not limited to youth intake data, various program assessments and pre & post tests, monthly payroll and direct deposit data, etc.
- Prepare data for various outcome reports (e.g. monthly Ballpark Report) using intermediate functions in MS Excel (i.e. VLOOKUP, compound IF statements, etc.)
- Assist with preparing data for grant reports using intermediate functions in MS Excel
- Support on the data side of recruitment efforts by working with sites to keep recruitment Google Forms and Spreadsheets clean and up to date
- Quality control: Review data for errors
- Assist with the design and administration of data collection instruments such as surveys and assessments
- Support the development of dashboards and youth-friendly communication tools to translate data into information
- Other data-related projects / duties as assigned
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate degree program with an interest and aptitude to work in public sector Program Evaluation and/or Database Administration
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously and independently;
- Academic or professional experience working with numbers and spreadsheets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and extremely strong attention to detail;
- Aptitude to learn and apply intermediate level skills in Microsoft Excel and Google Spreadsheets (i.e. VLOOKUP, compound IF Statements, etc.)
- Familiarity with R statistical software program, Python, or similar script based programs
- Entry level experience with MySQL, R, and Tableau/Google Data Studio a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, internet applications (e.g. Google Suite, MailChimp, etc.)
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment.
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Reports to: Director of Learning & Evaluation
Job Location: San Francisco, CA 94105
Starting Salary: $15.00-20.00/Hour, commensurate with experience
Classification: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Hours/Week: 15-20 hours
Education:Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate degree program
Years of Experience: 1+ year of experience working with data in an academic or professional setting
Please submit the following to Sanobar Sajan, Director of Learning & Evaluation at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission.
- Current resume
- Academic transcript
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.