Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business (social enterprise) was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Today, Juma operates 20+ concession businesses and in 2021 will employ over 500 youth at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Seattle).
As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, Juma has now employed more than 6,500 low-income youth who have generated $30 million in enterprise revenue and earned $8 million in wages. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. More recently, after just four years in operation, Juma Seattle won the 2017 Gold Award at the Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Impact Awards for Youth Development Non Profit of the Year.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
The Sacramento Case Manager will work with high-risk young adults ages 18-24 who enrolled in Juma’s YouthConnect Program. As the Case Manager, you will work collaboratively with the Sacramento site staff to assess and triage all YouthConnect participants to determine service needs. The case manager will carry a caseload of young people for whom they actively coordinate services, including but not limited to housing, transportation, education, behavioral health, medical/dental services, and parenting. The case manager will perform all relevant functions associated with the caseload including outreach and follow-up, assessment and service planning, needs identification and maintaining client records related to assessment, service provision, coordination of care, discharge planning, etc. The case manager will provide continuous evaluation of treatment effectiveness through ongoing assessment, client input, and communication with Juma staff and outside partners. Finally, the case manager will also be responsible for forming and maintaining partnerships with community-based services in the areas listed above.
Duties and Responsibilities
Partnership Development & Funder Compliance
- Manages, develops and grows key relationships with community based organizations (CBO) for enhanced recruitment
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with partner organizations/case managers to track and advocate for youth clients
- Manages documentation of services in coordination with funder requirements including government funded programs.
Youth Development & Service Coordination
- Assesses all youth to determine service needs
- Coordinates community-based services
- Conducts discharge planning and facilitates connection to employment and education
- Creates client treatment plan based on identified needs and goals
- Follows up to determine client compliance with treatment plan
- Documents service needs, service provision, changes to service plan
- Communicates with outside service providers related to client needs and progress
- Meets bi-weekly with the program and enterprise team to review youth rosters in order to monitor progress and determine which youth require assessment and referral
- Meets bi-weekly with Juma program team
- Builds intentional, impactful relationships with youth through 1:1 and group interactions
Program Evaluation & Quality Improvement
- Collaborates with the Learning & Evaluation Director to engage in continuous program improvement, ensuring youth outcomes are achieved while operating efficiently
- Data entry for government or other development funded program outcomes as necessary
- Minimum 1 year of experience working in youth development
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, education, psychology or a related area
- Must be available to work night and weekends as needed
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), Internet, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge and respect for youth leadership and youth culture
- Experience working with employers to place jobseekers is a bonus
- Knowledge of the Sacramento service landscape preferred
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment
- Accepts ownership for outcomes and consequences of one’s behavior
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy and organization. Ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Demonstrates strong customer focus with respect, patience and efficiency
- Builds rapport and cooperation with persons inside and outside of Juma though interpersonal understanding. Maintains a network of contacts that can provide information and assistance
- Able to identify and anticipate a problem, analyze the situation and various perspectives, offer and/or seek assistance in order to identify solutions and, when appropriate, decide on and implement a course of action
- Ability to adjust style and approach according to environment and audience
- LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
- All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and must pass a criminal background check
Director of Impact
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience:
Minimum 1 year of experience working with youth
Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time-off package
Please submit the following to email@example.com:
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.