Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education and financial
capability for youth across America. Founded in 1993 with a single Ben & Jerry’s Shop in San Francisco, Juma’s initial business, a social enterprise, was designed to give homeless youth the training and job experience they needed to transition from living on the streets to enjoying a stable adulthood. Since then, Juma has become a nationally recognized youth development organization focused on
employment, financial capability, and career supportive services.
Today, Juma operates over 20 concession businesses and employs up to 1,000 youth every year at major sports and entertainment venues across the United States (Atlanta, Houston, Sacramento, San
Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle). As one of the country’s largest youth-run social enterprises, as of 2021 Juma has employed 9,275 low-income youth who have earned $12.4 million in wages, saved $6.4 million for post-secondary education, and generated $38.6 million in enterprise revenue to continue advancing our mission. Our strong leadership, dedicated staff, and committed funding partners have led to numerous awards including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award for Promising and Effective Practices, the National Organization of the Year from the Social Enterprise Alliance and the winner of the Social Impact Exchange ‘Scaling Business Plan’ competition for our national expansion efforts. In recent years, 97% of youth participants indicated they would recommend Juma to a friend and likewise, our most recent staff satisfaction rate was 97%. Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth empowerment, dedication, and respect. Our four core values are Youth First, Stronger Together, Respect & Appreciation, and Integrity; Transparency.
Juma Seattle is looking to hire a second Program Coordinator to work alongside our team to employ approximately 100 youth in our social enterprise operations at the Climate Pledge
Arena, Lumen Field, T-Mobile Park, and the University of Washington football stadium. The YouthConnect Program Coordinator will steward the YouthConnect program, connecting low-income young adults to education and career pathways, and building their financial capability. The YouthConnect Program Coordinator will be responsible for successful program implementation in three phases:
1. Recruiting youth by coordinating with nonprofit and educational partner agencies, 2. Providing youth with critical on-the-job and program support to overcome barriers to successful employment, and
3. Securing future employment or enrollment in post-secondary education for the youth by building and maintaining strong partnerships with local employers and education partners.
The Program Coordinator provides all local Juma clients with support as both a mentor and as a leader of Juma’s programming via the following methods: virtual 1:1 and in-person (when possible) employment/education connection support.
Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment & Partnership Development
● Manages, develops and grows key relationships with community based organizations (CBO) for enhanced recruitment
● Work with the Site Director and the Enterprise Manager in the recruitment of our youth team, conduct orientations, hold interviews, evaluate youth for hiring considerations, collect hiring paperwork and submit for employment
verification/background checks with Juma administration offices
● Establishes and maintains positive relationships with partner organizations/case managers to track and advocate for youth clients
Training & Development of Youth
● Leads, collaborates, and delivers in alignment with national YouthConnect program standards, workshops (virtual and in-person) that facilitate learning for young adults on topics concerning career development, employment and education.
● Collaborates with and advises the enterprise manager on all job skill training to youth staff
● Meets bi-weekly with the enterprise team to review youth rosters in order to coordinate youth attendance and scheduling
● Meets bi-weekly with program team to report and assess program objectives
● Partners with local banking agencies to deliver financial capabilities curriculum as well as lead Juma’s own financial capabilities curriculum on a monthly basis.
● Maintains a regular presence at scheduled youth work shifts, provides on the job supervision at work venues, conducts job performance check-ins with youth in collaboration with the Enterprise Manager
● Tracks youth attendance and program progression towards program completion, coordinates with the payroll and learning & evaluations (LEV) team to ensure accurate payment of learning stipends
● Places youth in external internships and offers ongoing case management within those internship
Job Placement and Retention
● Supports the development of individual client-based career goals with clients designed to support their identification of their next steps toward a career pathway.
● Researches and connects participants with employment & education opportunities based on the Seattle landscape and the individual goals of Juma clients
● Conducts individual goal planning exercises with clients designed to support their identification of steps toward a career pathway.
● Assists with communications/surveys to both current and past Juma participants, working in collaboration with Juma’s Program Director and Director of Learning & Evaluations.
Program Evaluation & Quality Improvement
● Collaborates with the Learning & Evaluation Director to engage in continuous program improvement, ensuring youth outcomes are achieved while operating efficiently
● Assists in the review and analysis of program evaluation results utilizing Juma’s Efforts to Outcomes (Apricot) database and adjusts staff efforts and youth programming based on the analysis
● Tracks Professional Development and Placement data for all YouthConnect participants
● Minimum 2 years of experience working in youth development
● Bachelor’s degree in a related area or its equivalent
● Must be available to work night and weekends as needed
● Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), Google Suite, etc.
● Demonstrated knowledge and respect for youth leadership and youth culture
● Experience working with employers to place jobseekers is a bonus
● High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
● Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
● Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
● Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment
● Accepts ownership for outcomes and consequences of one’s behavior
● High level of attention to detail, accuracy and organization
● Demonstrates strong customer focus with respect, patience and efficiency
● Builds rapport and cooperation with persons inside and outside of Juma through interpersonal understanding. Maintains a network of contacts that can provide information and assistance
Able to identify and anticipate a problem, analyze the situation and various perspectives, offer and/or seek assistance in order to identify solutions and, when appropriate, decide on and implement a course of action
● Ability to adjust style and approach according to environment and audience
● LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply
● All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and must pass a criminal background check
Reports to: Seattle Site Director
Job Location: Seattle, WA
Starting Salary: 45-50k
Classification: Full-time, Non-exempt
Hours/Week: 40 hours
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in youth development
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time-off package
Please submit the following to Lainie Farmer, Seattle Site Director email@example.com:
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission 2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.